Serin,Isla's middle name...

Serin,Isla's middle name...

Thursday 29 November 2012

Feed the birds

Had another trip over to Thurrock today,started off at Stanford Warren,although not too much was going on,in fact in the hour or so I was there,I saw more in the adjacent churchyard than I I'd on the site,saying that,the wind was up so not too much was seen or heard on he reedbeds.I heard a couple of Cettis and a Stonechat but didn't see either.I had 4 parakeets fly over,2 jays and a Wren.Around the churchyard was a group of 8 House Sparrows,the first I have seen in a few weeks,strange seeing as they were so common in my childhood,sadly on the decline.A green Woodpecker was in the churchyard as were around 20 Fieldfare and 14 Redwing,both seem to be increasing in numbers daily.I could hear Bullfinch from behind the church but couldn't see it.
I made my way to Thurrock Thameside next door,on the road up I had a Little Owl dart across the path,then 5 Stonechat and a couple of Meadow Pipits all before I got to the car park,a couple of Skylarks patrolled the car park.Onto the hide,around 10.30am and although high tide was a good 2 and a half hours away the tide was way in,and the mud in front of the hide was pretty much covered,should of gone earlier!!!
Over on the remaining mud in the basin were reasonably large groups of Curlew,Godwits and Shelduck along with a few Dunlin,Redshank,Teal and the odd grey plover.Quite a few gulls and Cormorants were out in the river but on the whole it was quiet,a single Red Throated Diver was the only bird of significance in the hour or so I was in the hide.On the feeders which are nearly empty was Blue and Great Tit,a Wren and chaffinch,the odd Blackbird and Redwing were around the scrub in front as was a Kestrel.I left and made my way over to Thames Chase for the first time in a week,first thing to do on my arrival was fill most of the feeders up,they had been filled since my last visit but were pretty much empty again,I shot down to the farm down the end of Pike Lane to get some fatballs,suet and Niger seed,I stocked them up and the beds came,a few Goldfinch,which weren't really taking on my last visit,Chaffinch,Great tits,Blue tits etc.Will be interesting to see what starts taking all these delights,hopefully can get some of the more exotic Thames Chase Birds on them,maybe Siskin,Redpoll,or even a Nuthatch if there are some around,we get the odd report,one was even sent to me he other night with a picture so who knows.
I walked around the Top part of the site seeing the odd Siskin,single Redpoll a few Fieldfares,Redwings and Blackbirds and some very noisy Magpies who I later found out had been noisy because one of their mates had been taken and half eaten,probably by a Peregrine or Sparrowhawk maybe,have seen oth hunting in the area and he mess was quite a sight.
I shall be back over first thing in the morning to see what's around the feeders after a cold crisp night,lets hope they are starving hungry.
I have some pictures of today,will add them when I get in from work later,nothing special,could of done them earlier but I was messing around with my 30 day trial of Photoshop,still haven't got a clue how to make pictures look nicer!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment